Ways by which teenagers get into trouble today is alarming and almost want me to commit the sin of unbelief! If I remember well, King David in the bible was still in his teen when he learnt how to be responsible, tending his sheep and protecting them from the mouth of lions. Back to our world, some of our older men and women doing well in various sectors today started at tender age – the teenage. If you are in Nigeria today, you must have heard about a girl called Emmanuella, the young comedienne. As young as she is, she is popular in the comedy industry, imparting lives with laughter….then why should you waste as a teenager?
Definition Of Terms
According to UsingEnglish.com, teenage is the period between childhood to adulthood characterized by adolescence which is a transitional stage of physical and mental human development that occurs between childhood and adulthood. This transition involves biological, social and psychological changes. A teenager refers to a person between the age 13 to 19 years.
Kudos to parents and guardians who are working their hands out day and night for their teenagers and young adults, for them to have a successful transition into a well grown adult. However, some of these parents may be missing out some events happening in their children’s lives that could pose danger to their future. Shockingly, I learnt some parents are afraid to scold their wards for fear of being called bad parents or fear of losing the kids.
Helpful Tips To Avoid Future Troubles For Teenagers
I am aware that many of our teenagers 👨👩👦👦 are ignorant of the wicked world in which we live in and due to the different biological, social and psychological changes they experience now and then, they tend to respond to events in different ways, of which most could be negative responses. Thus the need to fill in some tips to help us achieve successful transitions from the teenage to adulthood without troubles.
1. As a teenager, anything someone does or says to you and it involves no telling your mom/dad or anyone should be the first thing to pop out to your parents or guardian. For instance, if anyone out there tells you that smoking isn’t bad at all and says tell no one…please, let such thought be the first thing to ask; Mom, so so person said smoking isn’t bad for my health, is that true? Dear teenager, ask questions!
2. Redirect your focus. Do not ignore the physical changes but focus more on the development of your intelligence and emotions. Ask yourself intelligent questions about the words and actions of others towards you. Sincerely observe and note what and how you feel about each word and action.
3. Develop some skills at this age apart from going from classroom to classroom. Develop yourself, learn how to cook, sew, do house chores and also develop some reading and writing skills….these skills would help a long way later in life. Remember that many adults are jobless today because they lack some useful skills.
4. It would be nice to pen down 📝 your future desires and dreams. To mention a few, if you desire to stay chaste until you are married, write it down in your personal book (kept away from friends) and stick to your decision with prayers and determination.
5. This is almost similar to point raised in 1 but this speaks more of molestation 💔 Please, speak out 🗣 if you feel something is wrong somewhere. Do not hide your feelings from your parents or guardians. If someone is trying to molest you, do not listen to their threats, report quickly to those who can protect you. When you open up, you stand the chance to be protected from molestations.
6. Choose your mentor wisely. If you are a teenage boy, it is better to make a male figure your mentor, and a female girl with a female mentor. And before your choice of mentor, study the mentor figure very well, ask about them and pray before you decide who your mentor will be.
Tips for Parents or Guardians
In addition, here are some useful tips for parents or guardians on how to effectively raise their teenagers and avoid future troubles.
* Parents’ protection over their children is very important but being overprotective could make things worse for them. Allow your teenage boy to mix with his folks while the females should be allowed to join their trusted girlfriends for hang outs sometimes. Doing this will allow you to rate his or her mental and emotional quotient and how it can be well managed.
*Allow your teenage boys and girls to be actively involved in religious and other extracurricular activities where they get to listen to the opinion of others. Sometimes, good exposures make them wise and smart 👌
*Do not hide discussions on sex from them. Acquaint them with the right information on sex education. This allows your child to be free with you. Once in a while, allow your child to act like your mate 👭 and chit chat. When you do this often, you get to ascertain what motivates or depresses your child.
*Have a listening ear 👂and a watchful eye🤓 as parents. Yes, you’ve got lots on your desk and on your mind. I’m not blaming you at all, you are indeed strong 💪 but with a teenager or a young adult in your hands, you would need more than talking. Learn to listen to thoughts and understand the feelings that lie behind the thoughts.
* Improve your parenting skills by reading more, read books on child development. In fact, my advice to women before pregnancy is to gather right information on stages of child development from conception to adulthood by buying books that speak volume on such topics. Oftentimes, your child would need you to provide answers to numerous questions – meaningful and meaningless ones👌😀. If you are not well equipped as to provide the knowledge they need, then you saying NO to them will be questionable.
* If you are a single parent, monitor your child around your partner. This may sound awkward but it is wise you protect your child around your partner. I hope you are aware that the boy child can be sexually abused too.
Like I always forewarn my friends, do not sit down waiting until you become a parent before you start praying for the future. It is not a bad idea to pray for the kind of spouse you desire now that you are still 15, pray for your children now when you are not even close to the age of child bearing. This kind of habit helps your mind to design the kind of life you desire to live when you grow into adult. It also helps you to remain focused in other aspects of your life.
In conclusion, as teenagers, adults, parents, guardians or mentors, we can protect our own teenagers and those around us by having a positive attitude expressed in positive affirmations which tend to create positive response.
Check this daily trust below and confess these words daily
You can write out this confession and paste it on your wall, read it out loud every morning before you step out.
I hope the tips above become useful and avoid you of getting into future troubles as a teenager or with your teenage child.